[argyllcms] Re: Printing using an ICC profile

  • From: Pedro Côrte-Real <pedro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:34:58 -0800

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:11 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It could be many things, but I'd increase the number of patches.
> If you have a budget of 600 patches, then you're probably
> best to use them all on one chart, or divvy them up at least 1:4,
> ie. 100 for the first pass, 500 for the second.

I was just trying not to waste too much paper. 600 was just a random
guess on my part. How many should I aim for for a good profile?

> [Using a ruler and playing with printtarg might help in making
>  more patches manageable :- see this for an impressive example :-)
> <http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=32856332>]

This seems like a great low tech solution that is easy to manufacture.
I'll try to get some materials and build something similar.

> You probably want targen -d2 (although this shouldn't make a huge
> difference), and at some later stage when you feel like you've got
> it all more under control, you might want to try running CMYK and
> using calibration/linearization (assuming your workflow and
> gutenprint permit this), since a better behaved printer is always
> going to give a better result (Alastair Robinson might be able
> to advise whether how worthwhile this is.)

I took the -d3 from the docs. I assumed it had to be that because the
profile was for RGB not CMYK even though eventually gutenprint is
going to convert it into device space. Is this not the case? If it is
the printer space then shouldn't it be one of 4-11 considering the
R2880 has CMYK + LC + LM + LK + LLK?

I'm not sure gutenprint+GPLin(?) are up to it already but I right now
I only want a reasonable profile that allows me to print something
usable. It would be nice to be able to do more in the future though.

Thanks for the reply,

Pedro