[argyllcms] Re: Location of profiles on Linux

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 05:17:48 +1100

David H. Vree wrote:

Upon running the command "dispwin -I Dell_2407.icc" I found that it put the profile into "~/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display" instead. Figuring that maybe I needed to run it as root, I did. However it put the profile into "/root/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display". Is this expected behavior? What am I doing wrong?

You probably want to specify the profile scope:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispwin.html#S>

ie. -Sl to get local scope

[ I'll fix the doco to note that both Linux and Vista support
  local and user scope. ]

How can I find out if my system is able to get the display EDID. If it helps, I have an nVidia GE Force Go 7400 card and when I run the proprietary nvidia-settings program it tells me everything about the display. However, I did notice that whenever I run an ArgyllCMS command I get the following error:

"XRandR 1.2 is faulty - falling back to older extensions"

Does Argyll use XRandR to get the EDID info...or does it use some other method?

It will try to get the EDID from the server atoms. I'm not sure if there
is any easy way of knowing if the EDID is being used, or the fallback
of the server name. Looking through the JSON files that are created,
to see what identifier is being used is one way.