[argyllcms] Re: Location of profiles on Linux

  • From: "David H. Vree" <david.h.vree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:30:55 -0500

Graeme Gill wrote:
David H. Vree wrote:
After reading the Argyll documentation and the subsequent link to the UCMM standard I would think the profiles would go into the directory "/usr/local/share/color/icc/devices/display/". Is this correct?

Yes, that sounds right,

This directly does not exist on my machine (Ubuntu 8.10), but I can easily make it. But should I also copy the profiles to it myself? The documentation for dispwin discusses the "-I" option for installing the profile. What does "installing" mean in this context? Does it copy the profiles to this directory (or to another directory)?

The install option should both create the directory if it doesn't
exist, and copy the file there. The currently installed
profile can then be retrieved (loaded into the display videoLUTs
and set in the X11 atom) with dispwin -L

Thanks for the quick response.

Upon running the command "dispwin -I Dell_2407.icc" I found that it put the profile into "~/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display" instead. Figuring that maybe I needed to run it as root, I did. However it put the profile into "/root/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display". Is this expected behavior? What am I doing wrong?
I also noticed that the UCMM standard discussed subdirectories which hold multiple profile definitions mapped to different monitors. How do these get set up? My Ubuntu machine is a laptop and I am often connecting to different monitors at work and home that I have profiled...how can I ensure the proper one gets loaded?

It won't always work optimally, as several things need to
be in place. A profile is associated with a displays EDID
if it is available. This is an identifier downloaded over
the VGA cable by the graphics card. If it's not available,
the X11 display name will be used as the association.
To install or load a profile for a particular display,
dispwin should be used with the appropriate -d parameter
identifying the display.
How can I find out if my system is able to get the display EDID. If it helps, I have an nVidia GE Force Go 7400 card and when I run the proprietary nvidia-settings program it tells me everything about the display. However, I did notice that whenever I run an ArgyllCMS command I get the following error:

"XRandR 1.2 is faulty - falling back to older extensions"

Does Argyll use XRandR to get the EDID info...or does it use some other method?

Thanks again for the help!

--Dave