[argyllcms] Re: How to improve an RGB printer profile using ti2 and ti3 files

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:56:35 +0000

Hi :)

On 18/12/10 22:54, Vittorio Villani wrote:

And I got this: Profile check complete, errors(CIEDE2000): max. =
12.537874, avg. = 0.258521, RMS = 0.469126

Wow, that's a very good average error, despite the outliers.

1) When coloprof "see" a patches with an high DeltaE2000 will the patch
be ignorerd? What is the effect of this kind of "reading error" in the
final profile?

It won't be ignored, but its effect won't be huge when using thousands of patches.

2) Is it possible to manual edit the .ti3 file before I give it as input
in colprof, to change the values of the patches that I don't like with
new readings? Is this an "intelligent" thing to do or not?

It's possible, and it's certainly worth fixing the outliers, though there's an easier way to do it in recent versions of chartread.

Now I don’t know how to read again this patch (I can use the ColorMunki
program, but I have L*a*b* values as output) and how to “put” the new
values in the .ti3 file.

You have two options:
If you definitely only want to replace the reading for the defective patch, and keep all the others you could use spotread to obtain new readings, then copy-paste them into the file using a text editor.

By far the easiest option, though, would be to use chartread's -r option to re-read the entire strips containing the defective patches.

(I have a pipe-dream fantasy version of chartread in the back of my mind, and wish I had time to create it. My fantasy chartread would fit an interpolation model to the patches on the fly, while you're reading the chart, and warn you if any of them contain obvious outliers. Once all strips are read, it would list the worst fitting strips and give you the opportunity to re-read them.)

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson