[argyllcms] Re: How to improve an RGB printer profile using ti2 and ti3 files

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:55:25 +1100

Vittorio Villani wrote:

1) When coloprof "see" a patches with an high DeltaE2000 will the patch be
ignorerd?
What is the effect of this kind of "reading error" in the final profile?

No, since this is the self fit error, and is know only after the profile is
complete.
There is no criteria to judge the rejection of such a patch either - it might
be a
perfectly valid measurement that reflects the device/instrument behaviour, and
the error value may simply be representing a poor fit between the
interpolation/smoothing
model and the data.

2) Is it possible to manual edit the .ti3 file before I give it as input in
colprof, to
change the values of the patches that I don't like with new readings? Is this an
"intelligent" thing to do or not? I am sorry but I am trying to learn and I
could find
no clear explanation on this. What I would like to do is to read again, for
example,
patch number 934 in spot mode and put it in the .ti3 file.

Yes, you can either re-read particular strips or patches, or delete them from
the .ti3 file. You simply have to delete the appropriate line, and adjust the
"NUMBER_OF_SETS" appropriately. You should only be doing this if you judge that
the reason for the high fit errors is a bad reading. Such a bad reading may be
due to the instrument not being properly positioned (ie. off line, or not
against the paper), or a failure of the software to distinguish the patch
boundaries.

Now I don’t know how to read again this patch (I can use the ColorMunki
program, but I
have L*a*b* values as output) and how to “put” the new values in the .ti3 file.

If you are using chartread, you can use the -r option to "resume" reading the
chart.
If you want to read single patches, use the -p option as well. (You can use
'F' and 'B' to move forward/backward 10 patches at a time.)

[I'll change profcheck in the next release to print the patch location, so that
 you don't have to look inside the .ti3 if you want to re-read the patch.]