[argyllcms] Display calibration

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:54:58 -0400

Hello all,

I'm writing some code for display LUT programming and I have a question, if
I may.

On the one hand, the 8-bit video card "gammaramp" memory holds 256 discrete
entries for all three RGB output, yet, the individual values stored in those
256 entries are 16-bit values. So, effectively, is the calibration done in
16 bit or 8 bit? Are monitors actually able to render 65,536 discrete
"levels"? Like, if I store the value 65280 in, say, LUT(256), or the value
65220 or 65315, is the video board actually capable of creating a signal
matching these subtly different drive levels?

Please forgive my hardware ignorance.

Best / Roger