[argyllcms] Re: Display calibration

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 10:34:07 +0400

Mon, 16 May 2011 22:54:58 -0400 Roger Breton wrote:

> Are monitors actually able to render 65,536 discrete
> "levels"? Like, if I store the value 65280 in, say, LUT(256), or the value
> 65220 or 65315, is the video board actually capable of creating a signal
> matching these subtly different drive levels?

Some monitors are capable to display more levels than 256 different gradations.
For example - 6bit TN-marix on Sony laptop capable resolve 9bit effective. The
secret, as Graeme mentioned above, - dirhering. The ATI graphic adapter in
certain notebook performs dithering from it's intrinsic LUT to 8 bit interface.
So, in most of "clever" hardware configuration, the 9 or even 10 bit depth
resolution is not a big problem.
Mention must be note, that not all of graphic adapters do dithering from LUT to
8bit-DVI and not all of displays have internal data path more than 8 bit. If
hardware have one of this restrictions, even the 8bit-resolution on calibrated
display is impossible. The "banding" is highly noticeable.
The best choice at the moment - the DisplayPort connection. I suppose that all
displays with 10-bit DisplayPort support should have intrinsic techniques to
resolve more than 8-bit.
IMHO.