[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 and i1Display Pro - ArgyllCMS vs i1Profiler

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:34:29 -0700

On 2012-11-22, at 7:21 PM, Tom Schumm wrote:

> Also, will I get better results by getting the white balance right with the
> monitor's RGB controls and profile from there, or just leave it in "Standard"
> and let the profile correct the white balance?
>
> It's a Dell U2711 rev. A09.

You generally only want to fiddle with display controls when they're performing
analog adjustments, as was commonly the case with CRT displays. Only a very few
very expensive digital displays have controls that do that sort of thing these
days, so you generally want to leave well enough alone. As might be
counter-intuitive, this sometimes extends beyond color balance controls into
contrast controls, and sometimes even brightness controls.

Graeme has an excellent guide to how best adjust your display in the Argyll
documentation for the dispcal tool:

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispcal.html#Adjustment

I'll let somebody else address the rest of your questions.

Cheers,

b&