[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 and i1Display Pro - ArgyllCMS vs i1Profiler

  • From: Tom Schumm <phong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:11:15 -0500

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 08:22:00 PM Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> Am 24.11.2012 16:42, schrieb Tom Schumm:
> > and i1Profiler does generate a reasonably accurate and usable profile, and
> > it at least claims to be using a matrix profile.
>
> How did you assess that is accurate? Did you measure a large number (say
> 1000) of color samples and compare them against the profile with profcheck?
> What average/max error did you get this way?

It's likely I have no idea what I am doing. I've used "verify profile" in
dispcalGUI to check the accuracy of the profiles I've made with it. For the
curves+matrix profile, I get deltaE of 3.84 average and 8.16 max.
Subjectively, reds look quite orange (I realize that eyeballing is not really
a measurement, but we're talking about a stop sign turning into a pumpkin).

For the LUT profile, I get deltaE results of 0.48 and 1.39. Subjectively,
everything looks as I'd expect. The main problem is the usual problem with LUT
profiles, compatibility. I get really ugly banding in Adobe Camera Raw and
Photoshop.

The matrix profile from i1Profiler looks extremely similar to the LUT profile
from ArgyllCMS but without the banding. I don't know to run a report to
measure its accuracy, but it's within the same ballpark.

Report for Curves+Matrix profile:
http://flic.kr/p/dvQn1D

Report for LUT profile:
http://flic.kr/p/dvQn2K

I don't know the incantation to generate this sort of report for the matrix
profile from i1Profiler.

Profiling for matrix shows a very different gamut than for LUT.

Gamut and settings for Curves+Matrix profile:
http://flic.kr/p/dvVVPW

Gamut and settings for LUT profile:
http://flic.kr/p/dvVVT3

--