[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 and i1Display Pro - ArgyllCMS vs i1Profiler

  • From: Tom Schumm <phong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:42:34 -0500

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 04:22:04 PM Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> Not necessarily. It depends on the device. A matrix model assumes a
> perfectly additive device.
>
> If the device _is_ perfectly additive, then it can be modelled _exactly_ by
> a matrix profile either (within the limits of device repeatability and
> measurement accuracy).
>
> However, if the device is not additive, then a matrix model can't describe
> the device behaviour exactly, but can only approximate it (think of
> approximating a curve by a straight line - depending on the curve shape,
> the line will approximate the curve better or worse).
>
> Best Regards,
> Gerhard

Well, an LCD display should be more-or-less additive (close enough, anyhow),
and i1Profiler does generate a reasonably accurate and usable profile, and it
at least claims to be using a matrix profile.

Is there something I could be doing wrong that would let me create an accurate
LUT profile but a dramatically wrong matrix profile with ArgyllCMS?

--
Tom Schumm
http://www.fortmyersgo.org/