[argyllcms] Dell U2711 and i1Display Pro - ArgyllCMS vs i1Profiler

  • From: Tom Schumm <phong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:21:57 -0500

I'm trying to get my new monitor properly profiled and I'm having some
trouble...

I got a i1Display Pro and tried using the X-Rite i1Profiler software. I also
tried using ArgyllCMS via DispcalGUI. The profiles they produce are noticeably
different. I would expect some small variation, but the difference is pretty
big. At least one of them has to be quite wrong. Most of the difference seems
to be in the reds.

I did import the correction files that came with the X-Rite software, so I
don't think that's the problem. I also let the display and the colorimeter
warm up for a nice long time so they were stable.

Is there any way to resolve the difference, or at least tell which is correct?
I don't need extreme precision, but I'd like to at least have some consistency
between my different systems/displays.

Also, will I get better results by getting the white balance right with the
monitor's RGB controls and profile from there, or just leave it in "Standard"
and let the profile correct the white balance?

It's a Dell U2711 rev. A09.

--
Tom Schumm
http://www.fortmyersgo.org/