[argyllcms] Re: Color errors on < 100% stimulus

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:09:10 +1100

Kristian Jörg wrote:
> Video and film quality is very much about handling motion. SDTV is still
> broadcasted as interlaced,
> which CRT couild handle well in the old days. But with todays progressive
> displays it is about
> creating a progressive frame out of a number of interlaced frames. That is a
> whole scientific area

The problems I see with SDTV and even HDTV is simply ridiculously small
bandwidth. They're
packing 4 SDTV channels into one SATV channel, and the result is simply
horrible. Blue ray
and DVD seem somewhat better.

> LCD and plasma are still developing and image quality has improved immensly
> the last few years.
> OLED may be the king if they can bring the costs down but the winner is not
> yet crowned.

Maybe, but lifetime could be an issue. CRT's may dim a bit, but they perform
pretty well
even after 20-30 years.

> One reason for the problems are that the blue light oled ages much more
> rapidly than the rest. LG
> has solved that (they say) by using white OLED and color filters for RGB.
> Simplified the technology
> and removes the blue oled aging problem. We'll see in the coming reviews if
> it holds up to a
> critical test.

Apparently white LED's also age in a way that changes their color markedly -
they tend to
go off the white locus and into the green. So I'm not sure what that says about
a plan
using white LED's to correct fading blue OLED's...