[argyllcms] Re: Color errors on < 100% stimulus

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:46:53 +0100

There is no optimal pattern size. Patter size should NOT matter at all.
When there is a difference, you should match the APL of the pattern
set with the APL of your normal content. But that's simply impossible
if you watch movies (or even a single movie all the time but with both
dark and bright scenes).

By the way, you are right. The color luminance control does not affect
the whole gradient, only roughly between 70 and 100% stimulus points.

I freshly calibrated a CG275W (I guess it's good enough to be a
reference monitor for this task) and a G30 with the same ColorMunki
spectro (I guess it's good enough...).
It's clearly visible how the G30 pushes the red with almost every
scenes but especially with low APL scenes. It is the most noticeable
on skin tones, especially with relatively dark scenes.

I paused the video where I saw a reddish face and tried to lower the
Red Luminance control on the G30 until it meets with the CG. I hit the
lower limit (-30 from the initial -5) before I could see any
difference. May be it was a little bit better but the difference was
minimal and it was still too far from the skin tone on the CG (which
felt more neutral without the red push). Then I set it to +30 and
again, almost nothing.

And it must be the luminance because I measured 17 points of the R, G,
B gradients and the chromaticity looked constant (I plotted the CIE
x,y coordinates on a graph and it was a fairly straight line). But
these measurements were taken with constant, small sized windows.