[argyllcms] Re: Argyll is now in Fedora

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:52:31 +0000

Hi,

Graeme Gill wrote:

Indeed, I'm afraid I've got a pile of not working Fedora and Debian install DVD's
lying on my desk, and I'm having trouble telling one from the other :-)

If you can't get these distros working on your hardware any other way, one solution that might be some help is to use virtual machines with VMWare.

VMWare essentially abstracts away the hardware, and presents emulated hardware to the guest OS - this emulated hardware is much less cutting edge, and should pose far fewer problems for a given distro. Both serial and USB devices can be accessed by the Guest OS, too.

The only issue for Argyll is that the guest machine can't access videocard LUTs - but everything else should work. If you just want to get a feel for how the distribution works, and packaging and suchlike it might be worth looking at.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson