[argyllcms] Re: Argyll is now in Fedora

  • From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:09:33 +0100

Le vendredi 08 février 2008 à 20:33 -0600, Leonard Evens a écrit :

> I hope what you provided will also work with Fedora 7,
> and that you include it as an rpm package for that version.

Right now a Fedora 7 package is not planned. Pre-Fedora 8 releases have
a different way of dealing with device permissions, and I have little
wish to invest in a significantly different package for a release that
will be EOL when Fedora 9 is out in two months. You can probably take
the Fedora 8 or 9 srpms and rebuild them on Fedora 7. It won't take care
of device permissions but if you're using the direct download that means
you've handled this manually already. OTOH if I push anything Fedora 7
way it will have to setup everything, device bits included.

I tend to believe that making packagers work on old releases so other
people do not have to adapt to new ones is a vicious circle, that puts
the burden on people going forward instead of inciting people to fix
their broken stuff. So my personal release policy is never to push new
packages to anything else than Fedora Devel unless they can be pretty
much rebuilt as-is on older releases.

However Fedora is a community project, so if there's a volunteer to join
as Argyll package co-maintainer, and take care of Fedora 7 or EPEL
releases, I won't stand in his way.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot