[antispam-f] Re: / in rules

  • From: Richard Porter <ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:29:14 GMT

On 16 Dec 2006 Harriet Bazley wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2006 as I do recall, Jeremy C B Nicoll wrote:
> [snip]
>=20
>> When I implemented this in *my* version, it was turned on and off by a=

>> global switch, and users installing the code had to decide if they
>> wanted the facility present or not.  If I were doing this again, I'd
>> now do it the way I control other things in *my* version, which is wit=
>> a variety of inline directives in the rules files.  I changed the
>> approach partly because I stopped supplying *my* version to other
>> people and partly because I wanted options to be turned on and off at
>> different parts of the rules files.
>=20
> Well, my personal feeling is that it belongs in *your* version but is
> potentially confusing in the context of someone else's Rules:  for a
> start, it looks like a C++ (?) style comment, where the '//' denotes th=
> *start* and not the end of the comment on the line....
>=20
> It seems to me an unnecessary complication that is inconsistent with th=
> other comment types available.

As you might expect I agree with Steven and Harriet. I want to write=20
the important bit first and add any explanatory remarks afterwards,=20
unless I'm noting the start of a section (e.g. a group of tests) in=20
which case the comment goes on a separate line.

The bod in the street wouldn't normally expect to have to edit a rules=20
file in the editor. He'd expect to have some sort of user interface=20
similar to setting up filters in Messenger Pro, in which case the=20
internal format of the rules file would be irrelevant. On the other=20
hand he'd probably expect to pay for the privilege.

We=A0RISC OS users are used to rolling up our sleeves and delving inside =

applications, !Boot and choices files, and I don't mind doing that.=20
I'm very grateful for having an excellent program that does the job=20
it's meant to do very well. It was just unfortunate that an important=20
piece of information had become obscured in the wrong part of the=20
manual and wasn't adequately cross-referenced.

For those who remember OS JCL:

//

--=20
 _