[antispam-f] Re: / in rules

  • From: Richard Porter <ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:11:40 GMT

On 13 Dec 2006 Jeremy C B Nicoll wrote:

> In article <8ba802944e.ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Richard Porter <ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How do you test for a slash (or //) in the operand of a rule? I can't
>> see anything about slashes in the manual under the syntax of rules.
>> When I try to test for a subject or sender containing // it doesn't
>> work.
>
> It's because there's a comment format that supports inline comments ie
> having overall rule lines like:
>
>   This rule is for something // DELETE Subject: = *blah *
>
> It exists so that you can comment unobvious rules, eg:
>
>   Auntie Jean's mails      //  ACCEPT From: = *nothingobvious@xxxxxxxx*

I've never found a need to do that. If necessary I put a comment on
the preceeding line. It's more common, at least in programming, to
have the comment after the statement.

> The only way you can make a rule work when you want to put double slash
> inside the rule condition is something like:
>
>   An explanation     // DELETE Subject: = *wibble // wibble *

Thanks. I ended up doing a test for "http:" which works OK. There are
some spams with web URLs in the From: header. I wonder if some mail
readers will try to go to the web site if you reply?

--
 _
|_|. _   Richard Porter               http://www.minijem.plus.com/