[antispam-f] Re: / in rules

  • From: Richard Porter <ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:47:01 GMT

On 12 Dec 2006 Dave Barnett wrote:

> In a recent message           Richard Porter <ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> You need to make in clear under "criterion" that it can't contain //,
>> or better still, do without comments before rules or use || which is
>> very unlikely to appear in a header, or make the separator " //" with
>> a preceding space, or have an escape sequence for /, or have a
>> preceding comment start with / at the start of the line. My preference
>> is to have a comment after the rule, not in front of it.
>>
> I don't think you can suppose that *any* combination of symbols will
> or will not appear in headers.  I have seen some very strange things
> recently, not just in Far Eastern spam.  Creating rules to catch them
> is, to say the least, very difficult.

That's probably true. In which case it's probably simplest not to have
comments on the same lines as rules. The alternative would be an
escape sequence like %/ for / and %% for %.

A slash at the start of a line would work because it can't clash with
any rules, then you'd just need a matching slash to end the comment.
That would also be easier to parse.

--
 _
|_|. _   Richard Porter               http://www.minijem.plus.com/