[amayausers.com] Re: large orders

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:35:05 -0400

I run into it with screenprinters all the time...
a fully automatic printer just needs 2 people-one to load, one to unload... the machine does the rest. So they can outproduce poor old me doing it by hand on a 4 screenpress. They also have dryers that are enormous...I saw the one Dick and Pat have up at their shop in Canaan Vt...along with 15 Amayas, their screen print dryer alone is bigger than all the floor space I use for screenprinting.
So their output per hour is quadruple or more compared to me.
WIth 15 amayas, set up in sequence, one person can just walk down the line and load and unload hoops, machines keep running while only the one with broken thread or bobbin stops...and with a stack of extra hoops (like they have up there!)
you can get way ahead with hooping.
So your 'manpower' (labor charge per hour) is minimal compared to the number of pieces the machines can produce per hour. Overhead remains constant- heat, electricity, insurance, rent, etc. So the more you can produce per hour, the less it costs
per piece to do it.
The guys with the big shops (and there are several places around here) can't take the small orders, single pieces, half dozens, etc.-so they will throw out bargain rates just to keep the machines busy...they have to pay people to stand around anyways. Hurts all of us...and some of it they recoup with 'hidden' charges...'setup', 'digitizing',
incoming freight, anything they can think of.
And, like Walmart-there are those companies that will DELIBERATELY underprice you, the competition-simple to drive you out and control the market. Local Walmart admitted in city council meeting when they wanted variance to put up gas pumps-they were going to undersell competition even at a loss-to control the market!
Still haven't built it...but they did get the variance!
I've had probably 2-3 businesses EVERY YEAR start up in someone's cellar, garage, backroom-screenprinting, embroidery, vinyl cutting-all undercuttin me and the other 'good' shops in the area. On average, they might last 12 months....and then they
disappear...no money left to pay the bills after undercutting us all!
We happily refer all PITA customers to them all day long! (Pain in the A$$)
Just doing my part to help a new business!   LOL

Roland