[amayausers.com] Re: large orders

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:52:32 -0400

Here's my thoughts...
never, ever try to 'match' a price quote simply because a customer 'says' "they" quoted a lower price. That's a red flag...if 'they' quoted such a low price, WHY is she price shopping? And without a WRITTEN quote to look at-how can you be sure you are quoting the same thing?

Even a basic name can be 3,000-5,000 stitches. So you might end up with 8,000-10,000 stitches or even more. Even at a general 'wholesale' of 50¢ per thousand-your $4.00 isn't off the mark. $2.75? I wouldn't touch the job-and I have several company price quides here...and not ONE of
them would even come close to $2.75.
With only one machine...how many shirts an hour do you think you can do? Ten minutes a shirt, counting hooping, sewing, trimming, etc.- that's only 6 shirts an hour. 100 shirts is going to take you at least 17 hours. As a BUSINESS, you should be 'billing' out enough embroidery to take in $40 or more PER HOUR just to cover your machine investment, supplies, utilities, insurance, etc. 17 hours of sewing should bring in $680 or more....do you think you should tie yourself up completely... no other jobs...for $19 per hour? that's going to be two 8 hour days...more if you need to stop for
lunch, fix broken threads, etc.
Not a very profitable way to do business-because you didn't say that YOU would be supplying the shirts! If you are, then you should be making at least 25% bare minimum markup on the cost of
the shirts. That makes it a little better....
If you have a 12 head machine, or 12 amayas sitting there-that's different-you can do 12 times as much work per hour. Then the pricing seems a little more realistic- but still cheap. Our rules here...if WE don't supply the item getting sewed, we automatically have a $5 'hooping'
charge to cover our time-and then add sewing costs on top of that.

I've been in screenprinting for over 25 years, added embroidery 4 years ago...and learned many years ago...never bother to try and beat a 'phone call' for a quote. Not worth it-if the customer can't come to see you to begin with, they most likely aren't going to come to see you with an order- they are just going to call the FIRST guy back-and tell HIM that YOU can do it cheaper, so HE
will knock his price down!
So unless you are really starving for business....personally, I'd say thanks but no thanks... this is my price, my customers are happy paying this price, so why should I knock it
down for you? That's unfair to my regular customers!
Good luck...think about it carefully...especially the time factor it is going to take you!

Roland

On Jul 9, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Michele Zimmer wrote:

I have someone that called for a quote on 100 shirts. I have only one machine and the design is just part of a column, like a cement pillar, and lettering, I told her I’d charge her $10 for the design set up because the column wasn’t going to be that hard to digitize and off the top of my head, $4 per shirt not having the slighted idea on how many stitches it would be. She said my digitizing fee was better, but my embroidery price was higher, they quoted her 2.75 per shirt. How do people do this? And am I wrong in not saying I would do the same thing? I’m actually thinking of calling her back and telling her the digitizing setup would be free and 3.25 per shirt.

What do you think. I’d hate to lose out on 300.00, but that will be a lot more work for me because of only one machine and I’m sure the other company that quoted her had more.

Michele Zimmer
Carefree Creations
Michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.CarefreeCreations.com