[amayausers.com] Re: hats wacf

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:36:08 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/1206.html#000009

There's really no secret, it's just needs to be explained by a trainer who
"cares".

Seriously guys,
And this applies to caps as well..

When it comes to visors, you will want to tilt, rotate, pivot (whatever word
you choose) the visor/cap on whatever angle is necessary to ensure the sewing
surface of the visor/cap is parallel and flat to the needleplate.  Just like
when we sew "flats".
Also use a stiff piece of cap backing no less than 8.5 inches (or so) wide so
that it wraps at least halfway around the circular frame and held in place by
the strap.  If your cap backing isn't stiff enough, use two pieces.  I've even
used a sheet of printer paper folded in three (like a letter envelope) when cap
backing wasn't available.
Use a sharp needle, either a 75/11 or 80/12 and slow the machine down to
minimize what I call, the "Shimmy Factor" or side to side shaking of the cap.
The tighter you hoop the visor/cap in combination with the backing, this will
dramatically reduce the "Shimmy Factor".  The less shimmy, the faster you can
sew.  Structured caps will have less shimmy than unstructured caps due to the
buckram applied within.
Forget about sewing the front and the sides in one pass.  If you choose to sew
the sides of the cap/visor, hoop it again without the necessary "tilt" used to
sew the front.  This way the sides won't sew out crooked.  Personally, I like
using fast frames to sew the sides of a cap.
I like sewing visors as they rarely have the center seam which can reak havoc
on many designs.  Of course it's true that given the unique size of YOUR visor,
you might have to alter your design if 2 inches is too tall.  This will vary
with each model of visor.  I think visors look best with simple, little designs
and lettering.  That's just my opinion.
Oh, and just in case I didn't say it before,...
Get that sucker tight under that strap.  Tight enough that you break a sweat
but not so tight that you break the cap frame!

Good luck.
Ed Orantes