[amayausers.com] Re: Need help with breaks

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:33:56 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/248.html#000005

My thoughts...
thread twisting-if it is 'twisting' around itself from the needle back up to
the tension arms-we found that was caused by either a burr on the needle or the
needle was not 'dead center' in the needle plate-hitting just enough to
partially fray the outer layer of thread. Burr on the rotary hook-from a broken
needle at some point OR a needle that moved during sewing because a hat shifted
or heavy jacket pulled it sideways. Doesn't take much to affect the thread.

thread breaking-back to the needle plate-if it is even the slightest fraction
off-it will rub the needle. My wife cannot set it dead on-I have to do it. She
looks at it with one eye and not both. I have to use a magnifier (eye surgery
earlier this year) but I did jewelry work for 25 years so I know how to see
small stuff.

crunch noise-just had that happen this week for no reason. Had used big red a
couple days before with no problem-started it up for another job and every time
the needle head moved, got this bad sounding 'crunch/pop'. Called our local
tech and he heard it on the phone-identified it as the white 'cog wheels' being
out of whack (why, we still don't know!) He had me hold the laser button and up
arrow, cog would pop, then move to the next needle and do the same all the way
down. That reset the teeth where they belonged and it hasn't happened again.
Maybe someone bumped into the needle head with a box walking by it or
something-who knows. But it stopped.