[access-uk] Re: who got a Sky Talker?

  • From: "Ian Robinson" <ian228@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:43:42 -0000

Hi Damon,

I'm using the regular Sky+ box, rather than the HD model.

The Planner (or list of recordings) does not talk. When the planner is displayed, Sky Talker simply says "no audio assistance available, press Sky to return to channel".

Pressing Select once will display the programme info, but this screen is not announced either. Pressing Select a second time plays the recording and Sky Talker announces the recording's channel name, channel number and programme name.

So, as you say, if it is the wrong programme, I would press Back, and Sky Talker would again say "no audio assistance available". Then I would cursor down once, then press select twice to start the recording playing.

I agree that this is far from ideal. Given that Sky have complete control over the software that runs on all Sky boxes it is hard to believe that this is the best they could come up with. I don't think that the Sky Talker as it is now can be said to make the Sky box truly accessible.

In fairness to Sky's Accessible Customer Services, they are very aware that people want much more than the Sky Talker currently offers. Also, they explained very clearly to me what the box would and would not do before I bought it.

One last thought...
The speech on the box is terrible! Like most people on this list I've used a variety of synthetic voices over the years and this one can be very difficult to understand at times. When the programme info is read out it often sounds as though words are being run together, even with the speed reduced. Anyone with a hearing loss, or who isn't used to synthetic speech, must find the Sky Talker very difficult to understand.

Let's hope the RNIB bring out either a Freeview or YouView recorder sometime soon!

Regards.

Ian

-----Original Message----- From: Damon Rose
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:44 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: who got a Sky Talker?

Ian, so talk us through this.

You're talking about accessing the menu of programmes you've previously recorded.

I gather that the menu itself doesn't talk at top level and you only find out what the programme is if you hit the select key while hovvering over it on the menu?

Meaning that if it's a programme you don't want to watch, you have to backup out of the menu, arrow down one more time, then hit select again before finding out the next programme on the list?

Is that right?

The ideal situation is to mirror the experience that sighted people have ... Which is simply to arrow down thru a menu with it speaking each programme as you land on it, choosing to click it if you want to watch it.

Are you using a sky+ HD box or a regular sky box?

Is anyone here using Sky + HD with sky talker? (I'm aware it won't play thru the HDMI route but there are other ways, I gather.)

Thanks