[access-uk] Re: texting

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:39:32 +0100

Hello Jim,

Many Nokia mobiles, and no doubt other mobiles, are supplied with a CD-ROM containing software which enables a PC and the mobile to communicate, either via cable or via a bluetooth or infrared wireless connection. Using this, you can put the names and phone numbers of your contacts on the computer and copy them to the mobile. You can also type messages on the computer and send them as text messages via the mobile. Text messages received on the mobile can be transfer to the computer and then easily read.

Sending text messages from a mobile without speech is possible if you learn where the letters and punctuation are on the buttons, as well as finding your way through the menus and options. This needs good concentration, but is not foolproof, so your friends and family may have to put up with receiving a message meant for somebody else, or having to read a message with a typo or two in it!

Hope this helps.

Chris

At 19:18 06/04/06 +0100, you wrote:

Hi List,

I've just re-joined the list and I thought I'd start off with a question
about sending text messages.

Friends and family send text messages to me via my BT land line and
sometimes I think it would be nice to respond likewise.

I don't possess software which makes mobile phones accessible.  So, the
question is how as a vi person, can I send text messages either to a land
line or a mobile phone, and will it be costly?

Cheers

Jim McAuslan from sunny Findhorn