[access-uk] Re: minidisk versus cassette

  • From: "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:37:28 -0000

Hi George.

Very good points you highlight George regarding storing client information on a stand-alone computer, which in my case is detached from the social work departments own system. I'm quite sure that other employers are aware of this issue though are unable to come up with a working solution.

All I can do in the meantime is protect the information which I store to the best of my ability. Highlighting issues like this during interviews or when practising will only serve to alarm employers more and make them less likely to employ people like myself, who require their own systems.

One method of ensuring confidentiality is to ensure that all your casework material is in your own possession at all times. I believe that this can be done easier now by using one of those flash card devices. For example, when leaving my work, I'll detach the card from the computer and take it home, and if working in the evening or weekends, access the same card. I can improve security further by encrypting or passwording the documents contained within the card,

Local authorities, health boards, education departments and others can only resolve this issue by considering access issues when developing their own particular software. How many times have we had messages from employees frantically trying to get JAWS, WindowEyes or Hal to read programmes within their work environment.

Securing employment is difficult enough for disabled people without them volunteering risky information that may disadvantage them further.

Best wishes.
Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>