[access-uk] Re: minidisk versus cassette

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:05:14 -0000

Hi Andy.  Congrats on landing the job.  Legalities aside, I'll
give you a couple of pointers to recorders and transfering
matterial to computer which I hope will be useful to you.

I'd say that if its a minidisc recorder you want to go for, then
the Sony MZB100 might be the best option.  It has bigger buttons
than the run of the mill portables, has a built-in speaker and
the facility to automatically mark the disc every few minutes so
that skipping through matterial becomes easier.  Its pretty
exspensive, but would surely qualify under access to work.
Trouble with minidisc is, of course, it always has to be
transfered to computer in real time and to my knowledge there is
no way around this.

The APH machines are still available even if cassette tape is
getting long in the tooth these days.  I mention tape because I
believe the APH voice recording software enables you to transfer
recordings to computer at twice normal speed, thus cutting down
on transfer time.  Not an ideal solution I know, but maybe worth
considering.

I've little experience of MP3 recorders but I know that the
models from Archose and Iriver get favourable mentions on this
list.  You'd have to check that the particular model you buy
supports mic recording, but I understand that many do.  The great
advantage is that you can simply transfer files via USB in a
fraction of the time it takes using other methods.

HTH and will be very interested to see other responses you may
get.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx