[access-uk] Re: OT but may be important for members

  • From: Mark Faben <mark.faben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:44:20 +0000

Hi,

Definately don't give out any entire details on the phone; if they ask
to confirm your account number, card number etc., they should be more
than happy if you just give them the first two and final two digits or
some combination that doesn't reveal the whole number. the Signature
number should never be given out over the phone.

But, it is the case that all card companys have automatic software in
place to pick up 'unusual' transaction, but this software really isn't
particularly good at doing this, so often throws up a queery over a
transaction that isn't wildly unusual for an individual; when I bought
all the parts for my new PC a while back I did several credit card
transactions in quick succession, as I purchased all the parts for the
computer I'd decided on, and within a few minutes of making the
purchases I got a phone call from the credit card company.

Also, if your worried about the validity of the call, don't forget if
it is really from your bank or credit card company, then the person
your talking too should know your card number and details; I have
before asked them to give me some proof over the phone that they are
who they csay, and ask them for some of my personal details that they
would only have access too were they looking at my account details on
their computer.

Mark

Mark Faben

Web: http://www.accessibilitytester.com