[access-uk] Re: Creating a network

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:44:20 -0000

Hi Andy,

The number of wireless connections you want to make is
unlikely to cause any issues, unless of course you want your
entire neighbourhood linked in! (Smile)

One RJ45 would technically be enough for a small system.
The only question might arise if you had a printer you
wished to share where there are four possible ways to
connect.
1) Direct to one of your PCs, in which case that PC would
need to be switched on when you wanted to print from another
system.
2) A network printer - which could be connected to the
router via an RJ45.
3) A wireless printer - becoming more common these days.
4) Some routers have a USB printer port, but these can be a
pain to configure.

An Ethernet cable does indeed have an RJ45 on each end, but
these cable do come in 2 flavours.
1) What is called "Straight Through" or "Patch" cable.
These are the most common.
2) A "Crossover" cable - usually only used when connecting
two PC directly together and not via a router.

I can't say for 100% certainty, but the Wireless Broadband
routers I have had dealings with have generally come with an
RJ45 straight through cable, and a router to phone point
cable and filter.  Of course one or both may not be long
enough, but longer cables are easy enough to obtain these
days.

George.