[access-uk] Re: Appropriate terminology.

  • From: "Brendan Magill" <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:29:40 -0000

Hi Léonie and everyone,

Léonie, I knew as soon as I read your original posting that you had touched on a hot potato with this one.

I think that the terminology used depends very much on the audience one is addressing. In common parlance and amongst people who know, it's fine to use the terms "Blind" and "Partially Sighted", particularly since those of us who might use these to describe ourselves do understand what these terms mean. However, the phrase "Blind or Partially Sighted" is a bit cumbersome, which is why the, mostly non visually impaired, world has adopted the phrase "Visually Impaired". That phrase, however, is itself open to greatly different interpretations, so it may need to be defined.

Personally, I do not like the phrase "Visually Impaired", since I believe that it is used totally incorrectly. What it implies is that there is something impaired about the way a person is perceived visually by others - i.e. that a person who is visually impaired is ugly. Now I may well be ugly, but I don't really want to be described as so to and by everyone.

Again personally, I prefer the phrase "Vision Impaired", since this is gramatically correct and does in fact define my disability. I, however, although legally blind, do have some still useful residual vision, so some may think that I'm regarding myself as vision impaired as I am not totally blind. This is not the case, since I also describe people who are totally blind generally as falling within the vision impaired category. Thus I use the phrase "Vision Impaired" as a short form for "Blind or Partially Sighted". The actual definition which I attach to "Vision Impaired" is as follows:

"A person who is registered as Blind or Partially Sighted or who is eligible to be so registered".

This seems to make "Vision Impaired" a fairly handy short form in regular use.

I have to say that I take no credit for this definition of "Vision Impaired". I originally found it over ten years ago in the Articles of Incorporation of Blind Business Association Ltd, an organization which no longer exists. It was actually defined there as "Visually Impaired" and I was the one who changed this to "Vision Impaired".

At the end of the day we have to remember that there is a very great difference between terms which are used generally, and maybe even professionally as Eleanor said, and terms which we use ourselves. The former needs to have clear and specific definitions whereas the latter is always open to individual interpretation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Brendan.

--