[access-uk] Re: Appropriate terminology.

  • From: "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:59:47 -0000

Hi Steve and all.

It's quite shameful that we have conversations of this nature in the first place. The reasons why we do is tied up with public understanding, awareness and indeed, distrust of disability. I firmly believe that the National Assistance Act was quite wrong in it's definitions of Blindness and Partially Sighted. I'm convinced that the definition of blindness should have been reserved for those individuals lacking all vision, including light perception and as for the rest of us, myself included, could be considered as Partially Sighted. What in the world is wrong with that?

As a consequence of this judgment, the general population have difficulty in understanding people like myself, who may have a Guide Dog and who may appear to have some useful vision, yet tell them that they are blind. This, in my opinion, leads to distrust within the general population. We have all heard statements like "She can hear what she wants to hear" and "He does not really need that wheelchair you know", and I'm sure statements relating likewise to myself in my own community are prevalent.

I was told once that a conversation in a local pub concerning myself concluded with someone saying that they saw me using a cash machine the other day. What they should have said is that they saw me standing by a cash machine the other day, patiently waiting for assistance. As I said above, people simply don't understand and subsequently distrust us. We need to re-define the terminology, but could you imagine the outcry?

Very best wishes.

Andy