[access-uk] Re: Any thoughts on Ebay?

  • From: "kevin and emma" <kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:37:00 +0100

hi, the majority of transactions i've gone through on ebay have listed the
postage charges. if they don't then ask before bidding! if you don't then
your stuck with paying whatever the seller charges because as ebay states
clearly, you are in a binding contract if you win an auction. another tip,
again some may see this as unfair on the seller but, if if in any doubt at
all about anything to do with the item then ask the seller a question. if
the seller doesn't get back to me, then i don't bid, regardless of feedback
etc. by this i mean back to me in a couple of days! i never tend to buy from
sellers with feedback rating under 97%. harsh maybe but i do look at how
much feedback toey have. for example if a seller only has 5 or 6 feedback,
then one negative rating from a seller is going to massively damage his
rating. however if a seller with hundreds of feedback has a low rating, then
he's obviously had a lot of negative feedback. don't forget to read *all*
info on an item page, including the terms and conditions from the seller.
they can sneak a condition in right at the end. also, watch out for those
sellers who still say things like buyer must pay x% to cover his paypal
charges. this is no longer legal on ebay. also, never pay using western
union, this is not covered by any ebay guarantee and your helpless in case
of any problems. if sometihng looks way to good to be true, then there's
probably a catch somewhere. for example, in the case of mobile phones.
you'll come across auctions saying, nokia XXXX (usually the most recent
model on the market) for £20!! great you'd think. actually it's rubbish,
what your actually paying for is a link to a website, probably illegal,
where there's a chance you might get the phone for £20. i've only had 2
problems in the 3 years i've been using ebay, in both situations the seller
was communicative and helpful and it all ended ammicably. this isn't a rule
or anything, it's just something i use, i also judge whetehr to buy based on
what info and how much of it the seller provides. i figure a good seller
will provide as much info on an item as he can. one who doesn't is lazy and
gives me the impression that he doesn't care about customers, just wants to
get the item sold.
the best advice for ebay is, if in doubt don't buy.
email or msn
kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cheers - kevin