[access-uk] AVG AntiVirus

  • From: "Theresa Hodge" <theresa.hodge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:40:22 -0000

Hi All

When I bought a new computer back in November it came with a three-month three
trial of Norton Internet Security, so I've been using that for virus protection
up to now.  The trial has now run out and I wanted to install AVG rather than
renew Norton as I prefer it.

I downloaded and installed the free edition of AVG, but the next time I went to
download my e-mails I couldn't connect to the server, and got the error message
below:-
"The server responded with an error. Account: 'Theresa at Equal Access
Consultancy', Server: 'mailhost.zen.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response:
'-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90".

I also noticed that in my system tray there was an entry that said "AutoPop3
..." and I can't remember the rest.  The above error message came up when I
clicked on that entry in the System Tray.  There was also something at the
bottom of the screen that said "E-mail Scanner" - I'm not sure if it said
anything else.

So, my assumption is that this might be something to do with e-mail scanning
... but it seems to be preventing me from even accessing my e-mails at all!!
To restore normality for the present, I've uninstalled AVG and can send and
receive e-mails just like I could before.  I've had this problem before on
another computer, and resorted to uninstalling AVG and using Norton, which was
already on there as my husband had only just renewed it so didn't want to
abandon it just yet!

Has anyone ever come across this problem and can shed any light on the solution?

Theresa Hodge
theresa.hodge@xxxxxxxxx