[access-uk] Re: mp3 retention of file position

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:53:43 -0000

Hi Brian

The Victor Reader classic, with the updated firmware available from the Humanware Canada site, will do this, and probably the newer victor hardware players as well. I downloaded and installed the new US English firmware on my RNIB loan player last summer and it does this just fine. However, RNIB are seriously unhappy about people installing this new firmware on their loan players, and have said that if anything goes wrong with the installation we will be responsible for any repair/replacement costs incurred as a result. I don't think there is any technical foundation to this concern, and after all, the firmware that RNIB distributes - latest estimate says that it might arrive in Spring this year - will most likely be based on the same core code, with modified prompts, and involve many of the same risks.

So basically if it's your player, or you're willing to take what on the face of it looks like a pretty small risk, you need to head on over to www.humanware.ca.

One word of warning: Make sure you get the right firmware for the player you have, as there are several versions of the Victor Reader Classic. From memory i can't remember exactly which download you need, I think Andrew Hodgson might be able to help here and possibly send you the URL if you want it. if you get the wrong firmware then you really will screw up the player and will probably have to sit in the RNIB Naughty Corner for a week.

oh yes and before Steve chips in, I wouldn't be surprised if Book Courier can do this as well.

James
----- Original Message ----- From: "brian hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>