[56raf_firebirds] Re: Cina's graphics setting in BOX

  • From: "klem56" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "klem56" for DMARC)
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 08:30:44 +0000

I can only say that the results I have are better than with the 980. Whether there is some kind of loss due to capacity of the 980 to 'deliver' I can't say. My monitors are 2ms response time, specs are here:

https://eu.aoc.com/en/monitors/e2752vq/specs

When I speak of HDR there are of course two HDRs at play: No HDRs; Only Game HDR; Only Reshade with HDR; Game HDR + Reshade but no HDR; Game + Reshade with HDR (see attached)

Game only HDR does very little to help
Reshade + HDR Only 'looks' best and is probably the best honest compromise
Both HDRs on is the clearest but doesn't look as nice

I prefer to turn off Reshade's Adaptive Sharpen because it puts a halo around the aircraft but if I am still having problems seeing I may turn it on :)

klem

http://56punjabvirtualsquad.boards.net/

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo
i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling
Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU
32Gb DDR4 RAM
500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB storage
3 x 27" monitors @ 5760x1080 + 27" 1920x1080 in Tee format
TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base
TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software
Cockpits in LEA Extended Input on 10" iPad
Windows 10 Home 64bit

On 06/12/2019 13:58, tim foster (Redacted sender silverwings.stickz for DMARC) wrote:

Bit surprised that you would expect to see dots any better by changing graphics card. Better performance yes, improved fps but - especially if using the same driver there is virtually no reason why you would it would render better. These things are built to do the same job, so unless it was thought to be doing it wrong, would not be a great deal of variation. The driver does it, and you apparently used same driver. Perhaps nvidia against radeon would get a difference but would not expect similar tech to be different.
Surprised you dont have the same effect on 980 switching hdr, my amd570 washes the colour out similarly. That hdr on looks horribly grey and washed out to me, but washes the blue paler so would expect to see up much better. Personally if I could get vision like your hdr off, would be more than happy seeing those eight dots.  Would expect hdr on to make it easier to see up into sky where I find it impossibly hard, and it does similar effect on mine, but as I have no dots visible on my monitor like in both your screenshots, there is nought to go by. Still never had more than 1 within 30secs, and with hdr on it was noticeable how easily it disappeared - ie I would see a distant light dot but as I turned it disappears, whereas hdr off, stayed visible whilst I gently close to it so I turned it back off.
My belief that it is almost soley dependent upon the monitor used, how "quick" its pixels react, (response time not refresh rate) and how user has monitor setup.  All these reshader settings give adjustments not available on the monitor, making the pixel standout better.
There are so many users complaining about vision, most with far better systems than mine and top of line video cards, that I very much doubt it is even indirectly graphics card related, just which monitor is used, and how they have it setup. If its pixels take 9-10msec to react (and that depends on how manufacturer measures it), then a 100hz refresh rate - it going to struggle to even update every screen, and may not even keep up with dot "movement" or your head movement wrt it. If you want fast response, usually need to lose brilliance and contrast.
Then we are sitting on top of internet ping times which should dwarf most response times.
The in game setups are pretty broad and coarse as are most internal monitor settings, even down to many just being presets. Then add in monitor physical pixel size, antialiasing to grey out deep blacks and you hear a lot of HD people actually reducing the screen definition to see further. There is a reason pro gamers spend 1000s on the monitor with fastest response.

On 01/12/2019 08:43, klem56 (Redacted sender klem56 for DMARC) wrote:
Well Guys I drained my piggy bank, took out a mortgage and bought a RTX 2080 Ti, mostly for better DCS performance and with an eye to VR in the future. It arrived yesterday (Saturday) and it went in and was working from the off (same driver as the GTX980). I tried it out off-line with the visibility mission I posted last week.

In IL-2 BG I was disappointed to find no improvement.... until I went full Ultra and turned HDR on (HDR didn't seem to make difference with the 980). The first attachment is with HDR On, the second with it off. A clear difference in a/c spotting. The third attachment is my in-game settings and of course I am running Reshader a la Cina which I am not going to faff around with at the moment. I'll get to that and other in-game settings later although it may not make much difference as I'm convinced the faults lie in the game graphics.

In DCS I am running four separate viewports (some people don't realise that the card is generating four different views, not carving up one large view). My fps in flight was around 25-30. It is now quite steady on 70. Each viewport is over 2 megapixels, total > 8mpixels. VR Valve Index only requires two 'viewports', separately generated images of 1440x1600 = 2.3mpixels each,  whereas my screens are 1920x1080 = 2.07mpixels and Index therefore has 10% more pixels on each 'viewport', so the 2080Ti should be able to run Index at a pretty high fps. Out of interest I tested two and three viewport views on my screens and the results came back as follows:
4 viewports (current setup, total 7680x1080, 8.3mpixels)............................... 70 fps
3 viewports (forward view, no instruments, total 5760x1080, 6.2mpixels)......100fps
2 viewports (forward view on two screens, total 3840x1080, 4.15mpixels).... 130fps

VR Index is 2 viewports, total 2880x1600, 4.6mpixels. So, I guess VR (Valve Index) will fall somewhere between 100 and 130 as there are more pixels involved on each screen but surely must well exceed 100 fps ?? IMHO I would expect around 120fps.

Of course it won't stop me getting killed but at least now I have a better chance of seeing them coming =-O

klem
http://56punjabvirtualsquad.boards.net/

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo
i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling
Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU
32Gb DDR4 RAM
500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB storage
3 x 27" monitors @ 5760x1080 + 27" 1920x1080 in Tee format
TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base
TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software
Cockpits in LEA Extended Input on 10" iPad
Windows 10 Home 64bit
On 26/11/2019 11:05, Marcin Wochnik wrote:
Hi Klem,
I checked your mission again yesterday. Made sure I set the expert mode with alternate visibility unchecked. It was quite different. All the planes seemed to flicker. I could barely see the last 3 aircraft on 1 o'clock and the last one on my 10. But when I just touched my zoom in button all barely seeable contacts turned black and were easily visible. But that behavior of the planes is known and there are few posts on the forum describing it.
If I were to spot the furthest contacts on my 10 o 1 in multiplayer I would be unable to do that to be honest. I would even struggle to see those 8 km away in the same lighting conditions. I will try to post a video from what I see from the cockpit.
Cheers,
Cina

P.S. I recently unchecked 4K textures in BOX graphics settings (Dutch pointed that to me last time) and I must say that this eliminated stutter further. I only get them at mission start on the airfield and they never come back when I'm airborne. The image is crisp as before and I didn't notice any degradation of image sharpness. The side effect is that the skins of aircraft seem to pop up when you suddenly look around in a more pronounced way. But I can live with that and this is also well pointed out to developers in few posts on IL2 forum.

pt., 22 lis 2019 o 06:55 klem56 <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> napisał(a):

    Thanks Cina, meanwhile I am going to recheck my monitor settings
    to match popular reviews although I have done this before.

    klem
    On 21/11/2019 13:39, Marcin Wochnik wrote:
    Hi Klem,
    I will check that for you during the weekend. Hot period
    started at work.
    Cheers,
    Marcin

    śr., 20 lis 2019 o 14:21 klem56 <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> napisał(a):

        Cina/Guys,

        I have set my graphics to exactly what Cina uses. It
        doesn't seem to
        help at all. I used the attached mission in which there are
        Spitfires
        from 3km to 10km at 1km intervals in front ranging from 10
        o'clock (3km)
        through to 1 o'clock (10km). I start the mission and leave
        it on
        autopilot. I look around immediately and the only one I can
        see is 3km
        away at about 9:30 o'clock. It is a very small dot just a
        few pixels
        (I've attached a jpg of it). If I zoom in I can just see
        the one at
        about 10:30, 4km away. btw Speed should be 200mph.

        In the attached screenshot I have circled the 3km a/c. Cina
        I'd be
        grateful if you could run the mission and send me a
        screenshot of what
        you see, especially in the 9 through 12 o'clock view.

        Thanks guys,

        klem

-- http://56punjabvirtualsquad.boards.net/

        ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo
        i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling
        EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked

--
if you dont live life on the edge you are taking up too much space