[24hoursupport] Re: Old problem revisited

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:26:32 -0800

Hi Ron,
Just a though do you have it granted permission through your firewall?

I'm not good on networking either,  I rely on my archives to figure things
out.

Mike

On 25/01/2004 at 9:09 PM Ron Allen wrote:

M> can the printer be seen by both computers on the LAN?

M> Have you tried installing the printer on the computer that does not work?
M> I don't mean physically but using the Add Printer.

Hi Mike,

Nope, the printer is shared, but is not visible on the network. When I
try to install it from the other machine, it doesn't show up when I
try to browse for it. When I try typing in the path
(\\MAIN\HPLaserJet) it asks for the password for the guest account.
The guest account is turned off on both machines, and doesn't have a
password anyway, so that's total nonsense right there.

The "Shared Documents" folder is visible from both machines, but I
also can not seem to share other folders. I have a folder shared on my
computer, but it is not visible on the network from the other
computer. I don't see anything different in the properties of that
folder and the other folder I shared, but one is actually shared and
the other isn't.

As information, my young nephew stayed the night last night and was
bugging me to set up Quake 3 Arena so we could play against each other
on the network. I couldn't get that to work either. Q3A indicated that
my network was using UDP instead of TCP/IP. I (very) vaguely remember
deciding to not use TCP/IP for my internal LAN when I first set it up
many months ago. Seems to me it was a security decision, but I don't
recall now what the issue was. As you can tell, networking is not my
strong suit at all, and I only deal with it when I have to :) Heck,
I'm not even sure how I could check that and change it to TCP/IP right
now. I could do it in Win9x, but XP is a different animal. But
while that might affect a game like Q3A, the fact that the "Shared
Documents" folder is working makes me think it shouldn't be affecting
the folder and printer sharing of Windows... should it?

Thanks,

Ron