[24hoursupport] Re: Old problem revisited

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:39:08 -0800

Hi Ron,
can the printer be seen by both computers on the LAN?

Have you tried installing the printer on the computer that does not work?
I don't mean physically but using the Add Printer.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

On 25/01/2004 at 3:22 PM Ron Allen wrote:

Hello group,

I am trapped inside because of a giant mid-west ice storm hitting my
area. Thought I'd take this opportunity to clean up some loose ends
that have been hanging for months.

One of them is my old network printing problem. I still can't get it
resolved, and would appreciate anyone who knows more than I do about
this stuff pointing me in the right direction.

Here's the situation. Two computers, both running WindowsXP Pro and
both connected to a gateway router. Both are in the same workgroup,
and I do not have a domain established.

A USB laser printer is physically connected to a USB hub that is, in
turn, physically connected to my main computer. I want to be able to
print to this printer from my second computer connected over the LAN.

Both machines have fine Internet access through the network, but file
sharing and printer sharing just doesn't seem to want to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,