[24hoursupport] Mouse Problems

  • From: MuresArad@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:03:00 EST

I would appreciate any thoughts or help I can get on this matter.
1) I'm using Windows XP Home on a Gateway 310S.

2) For any window on any program that has a vertical scroll bar, the page
immediately scrolls to the bottom and sits. UP ARROW and PAGE UP have no
effect.
At times, it is possible to scroll up by dragging the scroll bar with the
mouse, but the page scrolls to the bottom when the mouse button is released.
Other
times, it's only possible to drag the scroll bar up several lines.

3) There is nothing in the Trouble Shooter of either Gateway or Microsoft
on-line help about this problem.

4) I have temporarily and unsatisfactorily 'resolved' the problem by
uninstalling the mouse using Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

Mouse, then re-booting. After logging on, I receive a message telling me new
hardware has been detected and I need to re-start. I say no, because if I
restart,
I have to uninstall the mouse again.

5) In this condition, the mouse works fine, except the wheel does not work. I
also noticed that when the mouse drivers are installed, it isn't possible to
adjust any of the settings on the mouse panel through Control Panel > Mouse.

6) I purchased a Logitech Mx310 Optical Mouse and installed it, thinking that
something was wrong with Gateway's mouse. The Logitech mouse worked for about
3 minutes before the mouse pointer froze dead-center of the monitor. I had to
uninstall the Logitech mouse and re-install the Gateway mouse in order to
have any mouse capabilities.

7) Sometimes I can run the Gateway mouse with the Logitech mouse drivers
installed. This works fine for several hours, sometimes even several days but
if I
open or close MS Access or Excel progams it eventually fails and always fails
if I open AOL.

8) When using a normal mouse with a wheel, which drivers should be installed?
Is it possible for the driver's to be corrupt or files missing?  When I
bought the computer system the mouse worked fine for about 30 days. Gateway's
Telephone Help-Line solution was to use the System Restore settings, but that
hasn't worked.

9) Even with the mouse uninstalled, I occassionally experience problems with
vertical scroll bars on windows. I have Norton's Anti-Virus installed and run
it almost daily but it hasn't detected any viruses, repaired any files or
quarantined any files so I have ruled out a 'virus' as the cause.