[24hoursupport] Re: Mouse Problems

  • From: Ray <Ray2047@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:58:18 -0600

Rereading my post I see I really didn't clearly answer
your question about what I mean by a "real ISP". My
definition is a provider that invisibly connects you to
the internet. You never see any ads, you never have to go
to a home page to connect, you can use any browser you
want without first connecting using theirs. You can use
any mail program. You can use any OS you want.

I admit I have never used AOL but I have read many
accounts from people who normally use a "real ISP" but
experience AOL at a friend's house. They invariably
mention how long it takes to connect and all the ads you
go through and stuff. With a "real ISP" it's like using a
phone to make a call. You are never even are aware of the
phone company. Same with a "real ISP": You just just
connect to the site you want with out ever being really
aware of the ISP.

In fact with AOL when you enter a URL often instead of
connecting you to the site AOL will give you a copy cached
on one of their servers. Many people may not realize this
and if it is a site with frequent changes they could be
looking at outdated info. With a "real ISP" you aways
connect directly to the site.

Ray wrote:
[snip]
> As to ISPs I perhaps had a bit of oldtimers kneejerk
> reaction to AOL but frankly it is over priced compared to
> other nationals and there is really no reason to put any
> extra software on your computer to use an ISP. In all
> fairness while the AOL software in the past has been
> notorious for causing problems and almost impossible to
> remove newer versions are better.
>
> (Despite what AOL might say getting on the Internet even
> if you manually setup your dial up. I had never used a
> computer in my life the first time I used the Wizard in
> Windows to set up a connection and had no real problem.)
>[snip]>

[snip]