[ZeroBrane Studio] Re: Change the tooltip formatting via interpreter? How to distribute interpreter & api?

  • From: Paul K <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:24:01 -0700

Hi Jan,

> An incredibly useful feature that is lacking from most other IDEs. If this
> could be achieved with a plugin, we might really do this. Is it possible yet,
> somehow (with any link to an example which creates a panel? :D ) or will you
> have to add that "onEditorCallTip" first?

yes and yes. It should be possible with a plugin, but would require
extending the current API. I'll see if I can put a prototype together
in the next few days.

> At least for our case, debugging is not a problem as it won't be possible
> anyway - we're embedding LuaJIT and calling scripts from C++ while other C++
> threads (graphics, physics,..) are still active. I don't think such an
> environment allows live Lua debugging.

I can't say for sure without knowing more about your system, but you
may be surprised ;). I'm using ZBS to debug wxlua/wxwidgets
applications that have somewhat similar architecture and it's also
been used to debug scripts running a variety of environments from
Nginx/OpenResty scripts to debugging multi-threaded embedded apps. The
way it works is that the Lua state is blocked by the debugger, but the
rest of the application can continue without any issues; the debugger
also provides a callback that can be used during that "waiting period"
to give ticks back to your application (this is used in event driven
GUI applications to avoid showing "busy" status).

Paul.