[Wittrs] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:23:53 -0800 (PST)

(J)

.. this last message of yours really is hard to follow. It's all over the
place. It's really hard to participate in the telephone-conversation format
because adding up all of the short, off-the-head replies made to sentences
instead of points in a message makes for a tedius effort on my end. And if I
just do the same back to you, it ends up not really being "discussion" in any
helpful sense. Also, I really want to avoid these little pithy sort of things
that go on, ok? So, with that said, I'm going to try one last time to see where
I think you have some serious trouble here.

IN GENERAL
Let me start this off with two general statements. I think the trouble here
boils down to two basic things.

1. You seem to think that names can only ever be "bearer-calls" and not
bearer-assignments. (Now, it's hard for me to say for sure, because I have to
read tea leaves here). It seems that you want to say that a name could never
set forth criteria to ASSIGN its bearer, and must always, instead, always be
the thing that a particular bearer calls to.

2. Related to this, I think you also (as a consequence) must deny that names
are a family resemblance, of which bearer-calls are only one kind (but perhaps
an archetype).  This is why you seem to deny that nicknames are "names" or that
titles (in the sense I spoke of) are. Or that the examples of hyperbole that
take the form of names are a species of "name." And why you find no helpful
sense in "historical Moses" as opposed to legendary "Moses" (the key being only
to find the right bearer-call).

I think, in your view, if we found out that Moses was actually named
"Ghandalf," that only then could we say that Moses didn't exist. But in fact,
note that one could validly say ANY of the following: (a) that "Moses" was
really Ghandalf; (b) that Ghandalf is "Moses;" (c) that Moses is known by two
names; (d) that Ghandalf has two names. This is the same as Wittgenstein's
Excalibur. When bearers become separable from names, the names take on the
power of assignment.

Imagine knowing someone intimately for a long time. Then, the person changes.
And you say, "That's not Jane anymore." You have separated the name from the
bearer because the name has taken on a kind of status or criteria in your
language. Of course, you don't mean that the bearer-called-Jane doesn't exist;
you mean that attribute set X is no longer present in the bearer. Now, your
view, J, seems to think that only bearer-calls are relevant. That Jane's name
can only ever mean "the bearer-called Jane." But what I am saying is this: FOR
THE LANGUAGE CULTURE, this use of "Jane" is a perfectly ordinary use. We hear
it all the time. And it is surely NOT WITTGENSTEINIAN to make this objection:
"that's not a proper use; names are only [this]." That would be the kind of
thing a librarian would say. Rather, a Wittgensteinian would say, "That's not
the sense of 'Jane' I meant."  And that is the key: "JANE" HAS SENSE.

And by the way, although it would be stretch -- actually, poetry -- this is
also legitimate. Say you found a person, Rhonda, who seemed to exhibit
attribute set X perfectly the same as "Jane." You could commit hyperbole with
name (elevating it to a title) by saying, 'Rhonda is Jane.' This is a perfectly
meaningful sentence. Making successful meaning is all that matters in
the language game. It's a legitimate sense of "Jane" under the circumstances.
People who understand "Jane" as you do would get the point entirely. So you
aren't the one who controls this; the language culture does. If you were to
deny that names work like this, you would be saying that they don't function in
cognition or culture like ordinary words. And for you to imply that the only
real "name" is the bearer-called-Jane is the same as saying the only
real "chair" is the kind that looks like an archetype.

TAUTOLOGY
1. You've misunderstood several points here. You've appeared to equate "Messy
Marvin" (MM) with "Marvin is messy." These are not the same. MM is a name that
is functioning as a title. When Marvin grows up, one could rightly say, "he's
not MM anymore." Names mean more than historical bearer-calls. Also, your point
about class valedictorian (cv) isn't right. CV isn't a "name;" it's an ordinary
tautology like "bachelor" can be. For that example to occur, one would have to
have their identity distinguished by that feature. Let's imagine a Greek
demi-God called "Valedictor," who was said to have the best marks among all the
learned gods. If we had found that Valedictor was runner up, we could validly
play a language game as to whether "Valedictor" existed. The game would be
between bearer-call and bearer-assignment. It would, in short, be between two
senses of "names."

MARKING
1. This point isn't understood either. Because you only see names as
bearer-calls, you don't see "numbering humans" as being a type of name. But in
fact, the language culture doesn't support you (which is all that matters).  By
this I don't mean that the culture treats an id number as a bearer-call --
although, it probably does in some limited cases -- I mean that the
bearer-called are also numerically-borne AS A MEANS OF BEARING. The emphasis
here is on the kind of activity it is. Just as names individuate, so do markers
(brands). And what is not understood here is that the METHOD of creating a
bearer is its MEANS. And so, we locate bearers by pointing, marking, describing
and by tautology. And the activity of all of these behaviors can be understood
as being the family of "names" -- i.e., the things we do to create bearers.

Compare: the person X is called "Sally." The person X is "SSN 123-445-6677." Or
those who say, "Sally is DNA such and such" (All that your cloning examples
show is that the marking system isn't perfect. That's not germane).

POINTING
1. Here, your points are most poor. I don't even know what you are talking
about. I know well Wittgenstein's points about ostensive definitions. Here's
what you are probably missing (a quote from my paper):

Some may find Wittgenstein a little unclear here. At one point, he says that
pointing and saying “that” do not (together) constitute “naming.” Surely this
is true. “That” is a pointing; not a naming. But he also says that we often use
pointing as away to explain a name, such as, “That is Jane.” Here, the
difference is that, thought we are pointing toward “Jane,” we are also, in a
sense, pointing out her name, such that the expression really can be thought of
as that-plus (that-plus-name).  See ¶s 38 & 43 in PI.

BRAIN BEHAVIOR
1. I think it would be too much to try to give you this one, J. The message is
already too long. Have a look at the message board if you are interested. (If
you are, start a separate
thread). http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1240&start=0&S=8f6e252b1089a313b6ce32a7386f26e8

Also, I'd stay away from Glen's invite here, for he sees Wittgenstein as a
"behaviorist," which isn't true in the ordinary sense of the idea, and which in
general cannot be explained to him.

EXCALIBUR:
Just a quick point here. I think you misunderstand W's (and my) point. Here's
the exchange:

(Me:) "...I think it can illustrate the point. I take it that the whole reason
why the blade can be shattered, yet the statement 'Excalibur has a sharp
blade,' remain meaningful, is that 'Excalibur' has come to take on the sense of
a title or status (a set of rules) that is independent of the bearer."
(You:)  It may well never have had a bearer! (And no doubt, Wittgenstein was
well aware of that point.)

The point about Excalibur was not that the blade was mythical. It was that, in
the myth, it could be destroyed, yet still be meaningful to speak about. Ask
yourself: how is it meaningful to speak about a name when: (a) it's bearer is
gone; or (b) it's bearer doesn't live up to its billing anymore? Answer: names
can be more than bearer-calls. There are games where names separate from
bearers and take on whatever meaning they do (tautology, title, status,
idealization, what have you).

"... [Reasons one would offer for a name as a simple:] The word 'Excalibur,"
say, is a proper name in the ordinary sense. The sword Excalibur consits of
parts combined a particular way. If they are combined differently Excalibur
does not exist. But it is clear that the sentence "Excalibur has a sharp blade"
makes sense whether Excalibur is still whole or is broken up. But if
"Excalibur" is the name of an object, this object no longer exists when
Excalibur is broken in pieces; and as no object would then correspond to the
name it would have no meaning. But it does make sense; so there must always be
something corresponding to the words of which it consists. ...  We said that
the sentence 'Excalibur has a sharp blade' made sense even when Excalibur was
broken in pieces. Now this is so because in this language-game a name is also
used in the absence of its bearer.  " (44, 39)

Regards and thanks

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University