[Wittrs] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:25:51 -0000

Sean,

While I have always been a bit fuzzy on all this, and so wouldn't presume to
comment, you might invite Walter from Analytic to weigh in. As I recall we had
an interesting exchange some time back on the Analytic list about Kripke's
views on proper names and naming generally vs. Wittgenstein's. It was initiated
by my request for someone to explicate a bit from Naming and Necessity in light
of my past experience on that DRT list. I recall Walter's account being pretty
good and quite clear. Although it really hasn't stayed with me, that's very
likely my fault, not his. I wouldn't mind seeing him go through the explication
again so perhaps you can get him to respond on this one. (Either here or
Analytic would do, I guess, since I still look in on that list occasionally,
just to see if anything interesting is happening.)