[Wittrs] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 18:55:06 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> If my use of "tautology" is odd here

yes it is

>... what do you call these circular words? (You know, where the "disease" is
>nothing but the symptoms? You see this in medicine all the time)

analytic or a priori or even "necessary", are the terms most often
used these days, by the neo-Fregeans and Kripke school of philosophy.

... which all means, "by definition", as far as I can tell.

I don't like any of these.

We all know (!) that any word only has the definitions that someone
gives it.  Call it normative.  Call it a grammar.  Call it a use.
But the marks on paper b.a.c.h.e.l.o.r don't mean anything until
someone makes them so.  "Oh, analytic means without empirical
evidence, so it includes definitions," is the standard answer, but
this leaves me cold, too.

Josh