[Wittrs] Is Homeostasis the Answer? (Re: Variations in the Idea of Consciousness)

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:47:45 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> The issue is to develop algorithms that enable adaptation.

That is unlikely to succeed.  An algorithm works with predefined
inputs.  Adaptation is not constrained to predefined inputs.

> You are arguing that efforts like these are foredoomed because
> algorithmically driven processes lack the capacity to adapt.

To be clear, I am not really arguing.  I am comparing my approach  with
that of AI, because a comparison helps to illustrate important  points.

To argue is to attempt to persuade, and I am not trying to persuade
you.  I'm just explaining my ideas as best I can.

> If living systems are algorithmic at a genomic level too then even
> their adaptational capacity is causally grounded.

I do not consider them to be algorithmic at the genomic level.

> So what is the feature that produces what we recognize as
> consciousness?

I guess that depends on what is meant by "consciousness."

Regards,
Neil