[Wittrs] Is Homeostasis the Answer? (Re: Variations in the Idea of Consciousness)

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:44:07 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@...> wrote:

> A homeostatic process is self aware (in a primitive sense) and is
> adaptive to change.  Those seem like plausible precursors to
> consciousness and intelligence.

But, what is a (homeostatic) process?

I have here a kilogram brick of gold.  What is it I need to do,
to invoke in it this homeostatic process?  Do you have a beaker
of homeostatic process somewhere, from which you can pour a
few drops onto my brick?

I'm asking, because it has to be asked.

When I talk of computation, I want to make much the same point,
I have much the same problem here as I am throwing at you.  The
computer, just sitting in a box, unplugged, is not engaged in the
kind of process - for which we build and buy and operate computers!
Whatever it is I want to say about computation does not even
begin until certain "processes" are going, and even then many
issues remain about who is doing what to whom.

Josh