[Wittrs] Is Homeostasis the Answer? (Re: Variations in the Idea of Consciousness)

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:22:19 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
> >
> > > Is this a special case?
> > >
> > > Do you worry about how cats come to be in a world chock full of non-cats?
> > >  Hot things in a world chock full of cold things?

You know, Josh, I was just thinking about my earlier answer to you on the above
and it struck me that it is, in fact, a perfectly legitimate question to ask in
science, i.e., how do we get cats and hot things in the world? Why wouldn't it
be? The answers, respectively, might be to describe things like biological
theories and evolution on the one hand, the physics of temperature variation on
the other. Why shouldn't we ask, just as justifiably, how we get conscious
things in a world which seems made up of unconscious things and endeavor to
answer it via scientific research into how that particular phenomenon of the
world works? -- SWM