[Wittrs] Re: Constitution vs Causation

  • From: Rajasekhar Goteti <rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 06:50:56 +0530 (IST)

Related symbolsThe meanings of signs may be arbitrary, but the process of
assigning meaning is not; it is the activity of the entire society; individuals
are not allowed to change them arbitrarily, even though they may contribute
some new meanings. A continuous thread of socially recognized meaning requires
that the allowed meanings of individual signs be related. The relatedness of
signs was formally recognized by Charles W. Morris, who divided semiotics into
three fields, based on "the three dimensions of
semiosis:"[6]"...syntactics studies the relation between a given sign vehicle
and other sign vehicles,semantics studies the relations between sign vehicles
and their designata, and pragmaticsstudies the relation between sign vehicles
and their interpreters....These types of relatedness allow a finite set of
signs to be combined into a potentially infinite number of meaningful
utterances.
WIKI fullsekhar