[Wittrs] Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:37:00 -0000

Joe, I don't think we have too much difference about what's physical based on
what you've said though I'm certainly not in the quale camp. I think, though,
that the really important differences in our views came out in that last post
you did and which I have already responded to. So we don't need to pay too much
attention to what I take to be differences that aren't material to the question
of the challenge posed to Dennett's model by your interpretation of von
Neumann's quantum theory claim. So let's focus on what came out in that other
post then, i.e., whether there is an argument in your interpretation of von
Neumann for an extra-physical feature of what we mean by consciousness or
whether it is just a matter of our working with different assumptions,
reflecting a different conceptualization on each of our parts. If it is this
latter, then there is probably no way to argue it as it will just be a matter
of how we each see (as in "understand") the referent of the word
"consciousness". -- SWM