[wisb] Horicon Marsh today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 22:05:31 -0500

I stopped briefly at Horicon Marsh along Hwy 49 late this morning.  The birds
on the south side were just silhouettes, so I mostly looked at the Fond du Lac
Co. side.  Northwest of the pumphouse, there were quite a few Wigeon. As far as
I could tell, all were American.  All of the drakes were in a very funky
eclipse plumage, and some had surprisingly buffy/gold crowns and foreheads, but
they all were mainly very reddish and none had the gray body that I'd expect on
a Eurasian Wigeon.   One bird way back to the north in particular got me
excited, but even at 50+ power on the scope, I could tell the body was quite
reddish.  Pretty disappointing.

I stopped again on my way back to Madison late this afternoon, when the light
was much better.  South and east of the pumphouse, there were over a thousand
geese (all Canadas, alas,) a nice variety of ducks including several No.
Pintails, three Great Egrets, and twenty or so Greater Yellowlegs.  More
Yellowlegs of both species kept flying in from the north, so I relocated to
scope the north side where all the Wigeons were this morning.  I was surprised
at how many shorebirds were there now.  Most prominent were 20 or so
Black-bellied Plovers (I first noticed them calling,) plus twice that many
Pectoral Sandpipers, with a few Leasts mixed in, a few of both Yellowlegs, and
a token Killdeer.

There were many, many more ducks south of the historical marker, but the sun
was setting and I wanted to get home.  It could be interesting to check that
impoundment early or late, when the light would be better.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI