[wisb] White Tailed Kite and Others

  • From: Rowan <rowan.stamm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 22:04:23 -0500

     After some contemplation we decided to make the 1:45 minute drive to Leola
Marsh to see the White Tailed kite. We had to drive past where we found the
Snow Goose yesterday and when I glassed the pond it was still in the same
place.

When we got there the bird was about a 1/2 mile away. We sat and watched along
with a few other birders hoping it would fly, but after half an hour we decided
to try for a Ross's Goose that was reported at 6th Ave Marsh. On the way there
we found a Merlin sitting in a dead tree along Apache Rd. When we got to 6th
Ave I spotted a white goose with it's head tucked under it's wing. I glasses it
and realized there was a smaller white goose behind the first goose. I sat and
waited for the bird to poke it's head out along with Paul Schilke. It finally
stuck it's head up and we confirmed it as a Ross's Goose. There were also two
dark Snow Geese. We then headed back to Hwy W to check to see if the kite moved.

When we got back there were a few more birders watching it. It hadn't moved but
we sat and watched anyways. I sat and talked to Chris West and Daryl
Christensen. After fifteen minutes the bird flew from its perch and started
hunting it made a few dives and got chased by a few meadowlarks then returned
to its perch. With that we decided to head home.

Other birds include: Brewer's Blackbirds, Sharp Shinned Hawk, Coopers Hawk,
Blue-winged Teal, White Pelican, Great Egret, Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel,
Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, and a possible Black Duck fly-over.

Rowan Stamm, Dane County