[wisb] Cooperative Horicon species

  • From: John Krerowicz <dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 22:04:19 -0500

Just returned from 2 days there, and if you want easy photos of a Great Blue
Heron, Egret and kingfisher, head to the end of Ledge Road. I'd guess about 20
people stopped by today, and the birds were not bothered in the least. The
Heron was opposite the pier when I arrived, and he ignored me even though I
walked less-than-quietly toward the pier. I halted when I finally saw him, and
he continued to ignore me.

The egret was on the north side of the road and flew to a few other places
before returning. The kingfisher had 2-3 favorite perches; the best was in the
tree to the northeast of the pier. The sun was on it almost the entire day,
making for good photos.

There also were 2 N. Harriers patrolling the tops of grasses to the north and
of course hundreds of sandhill cranes and Canada geese. An immature bald eagle
made a few passes, too. A dozen or so yellow-rumped wablers and a handful of
vireos hung around in the kingfisher's tree, too.

John Krerowicz
Keno. Co.

dedlnr@xxxxxxxxxxx